Skip to main content

Authorization for Minor Forestry Works


A permit is required for the construction, alteration, repair, or abandonment of impoundments, dams, or works which impound, drain, or divert water. Permits for most dams are issued through the District's Dam Safety program but dams used for agriculture or forestry are covered under a different Florida law.


Effective June 1, 2015, the new Northwest Florida Water Management District e-Permitting database system is available for the Environmental Resource Permitting (ERP) and Water Use Permitting (WUP) programs. All types of Environmental Resource and Water Use Permitting applications (new projects, renewals, modifications, transfers, and waivers) are available online. This includes applications for ERP projects, formal wetland determinations, forestry authorizations, agricultural pond applications, and applications for water use. Responses to Requests for Additional Information (RAIs), RAI extension requests, and compliance reports can also be submitted online.

Any permits issued by the District and the status of in-house applications for the ERP and WUP programs are available online for public view. To search for these permits or permit applications by identification number, location or GIS, view public documents, apply for permits, view upcoming compliance due dates, and submit compliance items, please create a secure account using the link below.

Note: This does not affect e-Permitting for Well Construction.

Overview of ePermit

District staff provided public training regarding utilization of the new NWFWMD ePermit Portal. Please click on the links below to review the ePermit Reference Guide and PowerPoint presentation that covers the main points of ePermit. There is also an FAQ section at the end of the presentation. Feel free to contact the District if you have questions about ePermit.

ePermit Quick Reference Guide

PowerPoint Presentation on ePermit (.pdf file)

Who needs a permit?

Forestry activities affecting the water resources of the District require a Forestry Authorization or a permit. These activities include roadways and ditches, culverts, bridges, low water crossings, and other activities in wetlands.